Nothing in my natural medicine cabinet gets used more often than my homemade essential oils muscle rub.
If your family likes to be active, work out, and spend time doing outdoor activities, this salve will be your new best friend!
Its anti inflammatory properties help muscle soreness, general aches and body pains.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
This muscle rub recipe is also not hard to make. You’ll need 4 essential oils, 2 base oils and your basic kitchen equipment to blend it all together. I’ll show you how!
Sore Muscle Rub Benefits
How does a natural essential oils muscle rub benefit your body?
- Helps reduce inflammation in your muscles, joints and body
- Relief for tense, sore and achy muscles
- Cooling and refreshing sensation
- Penetrates deeply
- Simple to make
- All natural ingredients
- Smells incredibly amazing
Best Essential Oils for Sore Muscles
In order to help relieve muscle soreness and body aches, the essential oil must have anti inflammatory properties.
Oils with the highest amounts pain relieving components are:
- Juniper Berry
For my recipe below, I have picked 4 of these essential oils and have combined them for maximum effect.
How to Make Your Own Muscle Salve
Do you know that you can make your own rub with essential oils for sore muscles? In fact, if you want to know what you’re putting on your body, it is advisable to make a blend by yourself. It is less expensive and does not take much time to get done. Plus, you can make sure you use pure and unadulterated oils in your recipe.
Here are the items and ingredients, and the steps to follow:
The required items for this do-it-yourself recipe are:
It’s quite likely that you already have some of these ingredients at home.
Should you need to stock up, Amazon has everything you need! I used the following products:
Here are the step-by-step instructions to make your own muscle-soothing salve. It’s easy to blend the ingredients together!
- Warm about 1 inch of water in a pot, using low to medium heat.
- Place your double boiler and add all of the solid ingredients such as coconut oil, shea butter or beeswax. If you don’t have a double boiler, place a glass jar directly into the water.
- Bring the water in your pot to a boil and leave the ingredients to dissolve. Stir occasionally
- Take the pot off the heat and leave the mixture to cool down slightly.
- Add all the essential oils you want to blend in.
- Stir the mix thoroughly.
- Pour the blended salve into round tins and leave them to cool down thoroughly.
- Store your homemade muscle rub in a cool place and use it up within about six months.
- Don’t forget to label your creation!
What Is This Muscle Rub Recipe Used For?
Use your DIY muscle rub for:
- Tense shoulders
- Sore neck
- Aching back
- After a workout
- Apply on your feet after a long of walking or standing
- For sore tendons on arms, wrists or fingers
- General muscle fatigue
Apply your homemade muscle rub on any sore or tense spot of your body. Note: make sure not to use on open skin, wounds or cuts. It would burn and hurt.
Test your rub on a small area before using more liberally. If you experience skin irritation, dilute the area with more carrier oils to alleviate the itching. Do not wash with water.
Using a homemade alternative always feels better than a store bought alternative. It can also be a lot fresher, and smell better than traditional creams.
Our household has extensive experience with muscle rubs, since my husband has chronic back pain. We’ve likely been through about a dozen of commercially-made products. The only ones that we’ve really found effective, are:
I hope this helps you, and you find natural relief for your own tired and sore muscles.